Les W. Robertson
Mr. Robertson, a founding partner of the firm, has practiced law since 1988.
After graduating from law school in Chicago, Illinois, he worked for the Chicago-based firm, Hinshaw & Culbertson. Arriving in San Diego, California in 1989, his practice has concentrated on insurance law with particular emphasis on coverage issues arising out of construction disputes, errors and omissions claims, and risk management.
Mr. Robertson has participated in the settlement and litigation of many large exposure claims in California and Washington. He was co-counsel on Camelot by the Bay v. Scottsdale Insurance Company, a published California decision which overturned a bad faith verdict against his client. Mr. Robertson is a member of the American Arbitration Association (AAA) Panel of Neutrals for Southern California in the area of construction and commercial litigation and a founding member of the AAA Nationwide Complex Coverage Neutral Evaluation Panel (CCNE). Mr. Robertson has also been a guest lecturer at a number of national and regional insurance-related seminars including West Coast Casualty’s Annual Construction Defect Seminar, Quarterly meeting of the Construction Defect Claims Manager Association, San Diego Defense Attorneys, Mealey’s National Seminar on Insurance Coverage Disputes, Washington Defense Trial Lawyers and Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (ASCDC).
- Insurance Coverage Analysis
- Insurance Litigation – Bad Faith/Contribution
- Construction Defect
- Risk Management
- Professional Liability / Malpractice
- Maritime Insurance Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution / Mediation (ADR)
- Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, Bachelor of Arts, History (1981)
- Chicago – Kent College of Law, Juris Doctor (1988)
- Illinois (1988)
- California (1989)
- Washington (2004)
- Oregon (2009)
- Arizona (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (1988)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California (1989)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California (1989)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (2018)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington (2006)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California (2009)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit (2011)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington (2012)
- United States Supreme Court (2014)
- Oregon State Bar House of Delegates – Region 8 Delegate (2016/2017)
- American Arbitration Association National Roster of Neutrals www.adr.org
- San Diego County Bar Assn – Insurance/Bad Faith Law Section Chair 2013
- Defense Research Institute
- Armadillos (Member)
- FORUM ADR – Panel Mediator and Arbitrator www.adrforum.com
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- July 2020 – Presenter, “Case Law Update on Construction/Insurance Law”, DRI’s First Virtual Conference – Construction Law.
- December 2019 – Presenter, training session for insurance company client’s construction defect unit. Topics including best practices for handling California claims.
- May 2019 – Presenter, topics involving additional insured issues to claims representatives and management of current insurance company client.
- May 2019 – Speaker, “Reservation of Rights Letter: What You Should Know”, 4th Annual Midwest Construction Defect & Dispute Conference, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL
- April 2019 – Speaker, “2018 Year In Review”, SDCBA Insurance/Bad Faith Section, San Diego, CA
- April 2018 – Speaker, “Insurance Coverage Issues for Attorneys and Adjusters”, DRI Annual Construction Law Seminar, Nashville, TN
- January 2018 – Presenter, Insurance Coverage Cases and Claims Handling Regulations Update 2017 for CA, OR, WA, AZ and NV, In-house training for nationwide carrier/claim administrator, Chicago, IL
- June 2016 – Speaker, “Risk Transfer in the Construction Trade”, DRI Annual Construction Law Seminar, New Orleans, LA
- September 2015 – Speaker, “Coverage and Current Trends”, MC Consultants 21st Annual Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference
- July 2015 – Speaker, “An Analysis and Discussion of the Impact of the 2013 Federal Ins. v. MBL Decision on Cumis Conflict Cases”, San Diego County Bar Association, Insurance/Bad Faith Law Section
- November 2014 – Speaker, “Current Coverage Disputes and What to Do About Them”, San Diego County Bar Association ADR Section
- September 2014 – Panel Moderator, “The Gavels Speak!”, MC Consultants 20th Annual Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference
- July 2014 – Speaker, “Insurance Coverage Law: What Every Practitioner Should Know”, San Diego County Bar Association Insurance/Bad Faith Section
- January 2014 – Co-Author of Chapter “Key Conditions” for ABA book on the Commercial General Liability Policy, Second Edition
- November 2013 – Speaker, “What Happened to Simple HOA Actions – Litigating Commercial Projects”, Association of Southern California Defense Counsel 2013 Construction Defect Seminar
- September 2013 – Panel Moderator, “West Region Judges Live!” – MC Consultants 19th Annual Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference
- September 2013 – Speaker, “Broker Liability”, San Diego County Bar Association Insurance/Bad Faith Section
- February 2013 – Panel Moderator, “2012 Insurance Law: The Year in Review”, San Diego County Bar Association
- September 2012– Speaker, “Insurance and Indemnity: Trends in Risk Transfer”, San Diego County Bar Association
- September 2012 – Speaker, “Rocky Mountain Construction Litigation: Trends in Risk Transfer”, MC Consultants 18th Annual Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference
- January 2012 – Zurich’s Bid For Quick Win Backfires In Defect Coverage Row – Law360
- The Commercial General Liability Policy, Key Conditions Chapter co-author of ABA treatise on CGL policies – 1st and 2nd Editions
- September 2011 – Panel Moderator, “The Gavels Speak!”, MC Consultants 17th Annual Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference
- November 2010 – Chapter Co-Author “The Reference Handbook on the Comprehensive General Liability Policy – Key Conditions”, ABA Treatise on CGL Policies.
- May 2010 – Speaker, “Insurance Coverage for Construction: Five Things You Should Know About Self-Insured Rentions (SIRs)”, SDCBA Bar Center
- January 2010 – Co-Author of Chapter “Key Conditions” for ABA book on the Commercial General Liability Policy, First Edition
- September 2009 – Speaker, “Pacific Northwest Coverage and Legislation Issues”, MC Consultants West Region Construction Defect and Construction Law Conference
- September 2008 – Conducted seminar on the recent California Supreme Court decision of Crawford v. Weather Shield to large nationwide insurance carrier construction claim unit.
- June 2007 – Speaker, “Handling Construction Defect Claims: Strategies and Tactics re Insurance Coverage”, MC Consultants Annual Seminar
- Wet Wood and Mold: The “Perfect Storm” for the Lumber Industry?
- September 2006 – Speaker, “Trends in Construction Law: Litigating Complex Commercial, Investment and Luxury Property Cases”, 46th Annual Seminar, Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- February 2006 – Speaker, “Annual Update on Construction Law”, Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- October 2005 – Speaker, “Legislative Updates for Colorado, Nevada and Arizona, “West Coast Casualty 10th Annual Construction Defect Seminar
- October 2004 – Speaker, “Conditions and Insuring Agreements”, Mealey’s Insurance Coverage Disputes Concerning Construction Defects
- August 2004 – Speaker, “Anatomy of an Insurance Policy”, San Diego Defense Lawyers Seminar
- April 2000 – Speaker, “In the Shade of ‘AAS’” West Coast Casualty Construction Defect